Wednesday, February 10, 2016

The Five Habits of Highly Effective Dorks. (Or, what I make sure to do everyday)

3:17
On a Wednesday
Orlando, FL

I've never read Covey's "The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People" or the other book written by his son "The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Teens". I've read all of one self-help book and I plan on keeping it that way. (by the way, THANK YOU BASED GOD) That being said, I know that what goes into being someone who gets stuff done lie purely on your habits. I also know that habits could either make you or break you. Despite being one of those kinds of people who seem to do just the bare minimum in everything, I actually have achieved more than anyone really thought possible with my work ethic (or perceived lack thereof). That's thanks in part to the things I make sure I get done everyday in order to be the best that I can be. They're my own personal habits that make me highly effective.


  1. Go for a run. This might very well be the one that makes everyone drag their feet and do it with utter reluctance. "Me? Go running every day? But I don't want to!" Yes. Go running. Every day. It's one of the hardest habits to start since it's physical activity that requires a sense of effort and the drive to go on that run every day. But it's one that has such a great pay off. Stress is natural in all our lives. For me to take thirty minutes out of my day to go for a run helps clear my mind of absolutely everything. A morning run or a night run, when I'm done, it's such a great feeling.
  2. Listen to podcasts. For as much music as I listen to, I listen to just as much podcasts. Podcasts are, for me, a way of taking part in an intellectual discussion without having to actually talk. I can have a discussion about something and not have to actually say anything. Podcasts are a great way for me to learn things and find interesting new ways to look at something. I've been a big fan of NPR podcasts such as All Songs Considered, Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, Pop Culture Happy Hour and the TED Radio Hour. I also listen to a lot of other podcasts such as Switched On Pop, Monstercat, You're The Expert and The New Yorker Out Loud. Each of these podcasts scratch some itch that I have. Whether it's Wait Wait Don't Tell Me challenging me with a news quiz, Switched On Pop giving me a fresh new perspective on top forty radio, All Songs Considered handing me some new music or even The New Yorker Out Loud telling me what I missed in the latest issue (since a subscription is rather expensive these days) I always get something new delivered to my phone's podcast app and there's always something to listen to.
  3. Listen to classical music. I don't hate top forty radio in the slightest. But having been a classically trained pianist for over fifteen years, classical music just does it for me. This is music that has withstood the test of time since at least the 1700s. We must be listening to it for a reason. Classical music is also the one kind of music that always gets me focused. I just throw on some Chopin and I can type out papers with no problems. I can write lesson plans with no issues with Bach playing in the background. Vivaldi speeds me through my formal emails. Even something like Byzantine music has helped with tasks as arduous as cleaning my apartment.
  4. Drink lots of water. Self-explanatory. Stay hydrated by drinking at least a gallon of water every day.
  5. Have a morning routine. This one is, to me, the biggest one. It also encompasses a lot of habits that I build into it and the best part is that you can make this one whatever you want to make it. My personal morning routine is as follows.
    1. Wake up early meaning no later than 10AM (depending on how early my day has to start, I may also go for a morning run).
    2. Make breakfast. They aren't kidding when they say breakfast is the most important meal of the day so I make something substantial like an egg white omelette with diced ham or turkey sausage.
    3. While eating breakfast, watch one TED Talk. I've made it no secret that I love TED Talks. They're inspiring, informative and can even be entertaining. As soon as my breakfast has come off the pan, I go to the TED site and hit "random" and watch whatever the talk is that they give me. If it's one I've already seen (which has happened before) I hit "random" again. It may be a talk that I don't find the subject particularly interesting but the speaker will almost always have that charisma that pulls me into the subject.
    4. Shower. Start the day smelling nice and fresh.
    5. Make a cup of green tea. I'm not a coffee drinker by any means but I absolutely adore tea. The power of green tea is something that I will laud for years to come. Everything from an increased metabolism to clearing my skin, green tea is just absolutely amazing.
I'm not saying this will make you an all-powerful god who's good at everything. But these few things I do every day have helped me feel like I'm getting the most out of my day. I feel like I'm getting a lot out of my day just by making sure I do these few things. I no longer feel like I'm just going through the motions of my every day life but getting something out of it by learning new things and keeping up with the world.

2 comments:

  1. At 45 running hurts more the next day than during, but I do believe in sweating through physical activity each day. For future teachers, have a healthy way to burn off stress is key. I guess I am old-school as I listen to NPR each day to and from work and on Friday am at 6:25 I am teared-up. Routines matter and when the mayhem occurs they keep you ground and sanish! Thanks for sharing! What TED talk and podcast would you recommend?

    ReplyDelete