Wednesday, January 27, 2016

The Blog Writes an Introduction

1:27 PM
On a Monday
Orlando, FL

There's a certain art to writing an introduction about yourself. You have to strike that careful balance between making yourself sound interesting and not sounding like a narcissist. What I find interesting is that a lot of people undermine themselves in their introduction posts. Everyone is a lot more interesting that what they give themselves credit for. So the best thing to do is to just write.

I was born on an island off the coast of Spain and I moved stateside at a relatively young age. It was also around this time that I started learning how to play piano. I was a really fidgety child (I still am) and that seemed to be the best outlet for my energy. I'm in my twenties now and I'm still playing piano.

After going to Boston for a few years to study music performance seemed like it would be something I would be doing for the rest of my life. Fate had other plans. Fate decided to see how I could handle an onslaught of jobs it seemed as though I was totally unqualified for. Among these included being a sous-chef at a Cheesecake Factory, working concierge at the Orlando World Center and being a kitchen manager at a Chipotle. Somehow, I was qualified for every single one of those jobs. Somehow. And now fate wants to see how I'll do as an English teacher.

This should be fun.


2 comments:

  1. Your students will welcome what you bring to class due to all the experiences that the Fates brought to you. I think that your path or journey helps kids realize there is no one way to get to where you want to be. We tend to have this cookie cutter vision of how life is supposed to go and how schooling is. Is your It's Always Sunny in Philly a purposeful link? Just wondering? Not judging...just wondering...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your students will welcome what you bring to class due to all the experiences that the Fates brought to you. I think that your path or journey helps kids realize there is no one way to get to where you want to be. We tend to have this cookie cutter vision of how life is supposed to go and how schooling is. Is your It's Always Sunny in Philly a purposeful link? Just wondering? Not judging...just wondering...

    ReplyDelete