Wednesday, April 27, 2016

And Tomorrow is Just a Dream Away.

If anyone has emailed me, they might have noticed a quote that i have at the bottom of my signature. It's a line from Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress and it's a line that I've always found to be particularly inspiring. It's a reminder that tomorrow is going to be awesome. No matter how terrible it may seem, there's going to be something awesome that's going to happen tomorrow.

I feel as though that carries itself over into the class as well. Our internships might be incredibly stressful but tomorrow, we'll learn something amazing. We'll create something amazing and it's only a dream away.

  • What you learned about yourself as a writer?
    I've always had the title of "writer" dangling over my head. It was one of those things where it was always there but I never really thought anything about. People always call me a writer since they know I carry a leather-bound journal around and I write in it. I simply think to myself "Yeah, I'm no writer. Sorry y'all." Over time, I've learned to embrace that title. People come to me asking what I think of something they wrote and I think "Yeah! Someone values my opinion as a writer." It's something I should be proud of even if it's a weird title to have.
  • What you learned about digital writing? In all honesty, there wasn't much about digital writing that I didn't know before. But I did learn about the community that it creates. Even if you're just throwing your ideas out there and hoping some kind of internet wind would catch it, someone will read it and they'll want to read it!
  • What lessons you can take to classroom or share with future teachers about integrating blogging into instruction?  Blogging is definitely how I'm going to get my students to be comfortable with their writing. I noticed a lot of people used pseudonyms so that they could have a sense of anonymity in their blog. Then again, the real reason they did so is because they don't feel comfortable with people knowing that they wrote something. Blogging is great to build confidence and it's something that I'll definitely incorporate into my own classroom.

  • Challenges? Successes? The biggest challenge was the open post. Sometimes I had something I wanted to talk about. Sometimes I didn't. But I thrived off that challenge. I wanted to see what I could come up with for the open posts and of them, my favorite one thus far is what I would also consider to be my best success. That post is the one I wrote about Country Music. I know, not the most interesting subject but I loved how one experience in an Uber made me really think about a problem bigger than that of my Uber driver.
If this class has taught me anything, it's that my career path is the right one for me. It's also taught me that as crazy as I may sound for wanting to teach writing at the university level, it's all worth it in the end because teaching writing, writing about writing and writing as a whole is just so much fun.

Thanks for everything Dr. Scanlon!

3 comments:

  1. Loved your posts, Angelica, as well as your presence in class. I think you are definitely a writer (Hot Hot Leg)! Good luck to you, and keep in touch! -Daniel

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was always excited to read your posts Angelica. Your diverse experiences and unique perspective always left me smiling. I think that providing a space to share your writing and providing student choice has empowering consequences even for people who chose pseudonyms! Good luck with your internship in the fall!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was always excited to read your posts Angelica. Your diverse experiences and unique perspective always left me smiling. I think that providing a space to share your writing and providing student choice has empowering consequences even for people who chose pseudonyms! Good luck with your internship in the fall!

    ReplyDelete